Good Morning Tuscaloosa! I hope your Sunday is off to a smooth and easy start.
In today’s Daily, we have everything you need to know from Saturday’s A-Day Game, an update on a popular Tuscaloosa eatery’s new location, and all of the other stories I’m following and working on today.
First, today’s weather:
Tuscaloosa can expect a beautiful sunny day with a high around 71 degrees and a low near 47.
Patch Pick: Congratulations to Miss Holt High School Madison Frith, who was crowned on Saturday. Also placing were: Jaqualah Driver (1st Alternate), Jar-Daina Ryans (2nd Alternate), Nyiah Grayson (3rd Alternate), Ashuntae Leatherwood (Miss Congeniality) and Chylynn Washington (Miss Photogenic). (More)
Tuscaloosa Daily is made possible in part by our local sponsors:
Support the sponsors who help keep you in the loop about what’s happening in Tuscaloosa.
For sponsorship inquiries, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the top 5 stories today in Tuscaloosa
1. Alabama kicker Will Reichard sunk a fourth quarter field goal to help the White Team to victory over the Crimson Team 13-10 Saturday in the 2021 Golden Flake A-Day Football Game. (More)
2. In other A-Day news, Alabama quarterback (More)won the Dixie Howell Memorial Award for being the game’s MVP, while defensive lineman was presented with the Dwight Stephenson Award for Most Valuable Lineman.
3. Former University of Alabama women’s basketball star and Montgomery native Jasmine Walker was selected with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2021 WNBA Draft. (More)
4. After Ichiban Japanese Grill was forced by its landlord to vacate its 15th Street location in March, the eatery has announced it will reopen next to Steel City Pops in the former location of Real and Rosemary on University Boulevard in downtown Tuscaloosa. (More)
5. The University of Alabama announced it will begin offering Pfizer coronavirus vaccinations to all students, beginning Monday, April 19. Students can now schedule a first dose appointment online through the Student Health Center’s patient portal. (More)
Numbers of the Day
The number of fans in attendance for the A-Day Game on Saturday, as Bryant-Denny Stadium allowed the stadium to fill to half capacity. (More)
The number of coronavirus inpatients reported by DCH Health System Sunday as new local cases have trended up slightly over the last couple of weeks, while remaining low. (More)
The number of yards Alabama sophomore quarterback Bryce Young threw for in Saturday’s A-Day Game. Of those yards, 59 came on a touchdown strike to junior tight end.
Tuscaloosa Patch Notebook
– Sunday is the last day to catch Theatre Tuscaloosa’s latest virtual offering for its 2020-21 season. “The Sweet Delilah Swim Club” is available to rent through the end of the day or own. (More)
– The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency says a Linden man, identified as 35-year-old Lafe Benjamin Parsley, was killed on Friday shortly become 11 p.m. when the car he was driving left the road and struck a tree in Marengo County, approximately three miles south of the Demopolis city limits.
– 4 Tuscaloosa Area Foreclosures Selling For Cheap: Searching for a new house, but don’t have a lot to spend? Let Patch help you out with the latest local listings. (More on Patch)
– PJ’s Coffee on University Boulevard will be giving away free coffee from 11 a.lm. to 1 p.m. Friday, April 23 as part of its grand opening event. (More)
– Keep Bibb Beautiful Day is set for Saturday, April 24. Those wishing to participate in the community-wide cleanup event can meet at Woodstock Town Hall or West Blocton Coke Ovens at 9 a.m. Saturday for free trash bags and directions on areas to cover. (More)
– The Northport City Council will hold its regular meeting tomorrow at 5:30 p.m. Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for live updates. Click here for the night’s agenda. (More)
– The Shelton State Lady Bucs basketball team has signed Maya Cunningham — an All-State player from 5A Pleasant Grove High School. (More)
Area baseball scores
– Alabama 10, Auburn 9
– West Alabama 3, Lee University 6
– Shelton State 8, Bevill State 4
– Shelton State 9, Bevill State 4
– Tuscaloosa Valor 12U 8, Cullman 10
Stat line: Sophomore Jim Jarvis walked it off with an RBI double for the Crimson Tide in the bottom of the ninth on Saturday over Auburn at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. Watch the big moment here. (More)
Area softball scores
– Alabama 2, Florida 9
– Stillman 0, Middle…
News Read More: UA Offering Vaccine To All Students; Ichiban’s New Location